Join Our Team
Why Rome Police Department?
Our goal is to be the model of excellence in law enforcement. We strive for peace, safety, and the suppression of crime. We all maintain the trust and confidence of all people while working to improve quality of life in one of the top small cities in the United States.
Located in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, Rome was founded in 1834 and has a strong arts community, a passion for history and a respect for the three gentle rivers - the Etowah, Oostanaula and Coosa - winding through the heart of the city.
Rome is a major hub for both medical care and higher education, with award-winning hospitals and specialty care facilities as well as multiple colleges, universities, and technical schools in the area.
Help us make a difference - apply today to become a part of our team.
The Rome Police Department is a great place to build your career!!
- Incredible starting salary that is based on certification, experience, and education
- Lateral transfers accepted - come on over and hit the ground running!!
- Years of Service pay incentive - we will reward you for staying on our team!
- Take-home vehicle
- Best in-car technology around - reports completed in the car if desired!
- 12-hour shifts with every-other-weekend off for most officers
- Education reimbursement - get your higher education on us!
- SWAT and specialty teams
- Employer-paid pension with matching funds
- Employer-paid life insurance
- On-site workout facility
- Excellent healthcare benefits and free Wellness Clinic
- Lenient Tattoo Policy @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- US Citizen, at least 21 years of age, with a high school diploma or GED
- Pass pre-employment process including physical agility test, polygraph, background investigation, in-person panel interview, psychological and medical evaluations
- Ability to distinguish between colors and have vision correctable to 20/20 pursuant to visual acuity standards
- Not used marijuana or misused prescription drugs in the last two years, or used any illegal drug other than marijuana in the last seven years.
- Not have been convicted of a felony, or sufficient misdemeanors as to constitute a disregard for the law, or have a domestic violence violation charge.
- Not have been dishonorably discharged form any branch of military service.
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver's License, with no DUI conviction in the last 3 years, and no more than 15 points against the Driver's License.
- Pass the Compass Exam or Asset Exam; may substitute ACT or SAT scores.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Georgia Police Officer Standard and Training Council
- Obtain NIMS 100 and 700 within 3 months of employment @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
So, what now?
Submit your application online through the City of Rome's self-service portal, and then complete the Personal History Questionnaire that is sent back to you. Access the portal here. We can't wait to have you on our Team!