If you would like to discuss your property/project with one of our planners, please call (706) 236-5025 to schedule an appointment.
- First Thursday of every month at 2:30 PM*
- Located in the Sam King Room in City Hall *
- Open to the public (Zoom link available upon request)
- Neighbors of parcels in question will be notified in advance
* unless otherwise noted
Applications are due by 5:00 pm on the 25th day of the calendar month which is two months before the calendar month in which the application is to be considered. For example, if the application is to be heard in July, then the application should be submitted no later than May 25.
Rome-Floyd County Planning Commission
The Planning Commission shall have the duty and responsibility to conduct a public hearing on each application for rezoning or special use approval, to review the application in accordance with the standards and procedures set for elsewhere in this Development Code, and make such recommendations to the City Commission or the County Board of Commissioners as it deems appropriate on each application.
The Planning Commission shall also have the duty and responsibility to conduct a public hearing on any proposed amendment to the text of this Development Code, to review such proposed amendment in accordance with the standards and procedures set forth elsewhere in this Development Code, and to make such recommendation to the City Commission or the County Board of Commissioners as it deems necessary.
The Planning Commission shall also have the authority to initiate on its own motion a zoning change, or an amendment to the text of this Development Code when, in its determination, such changes are appropriate for consideration.
The Planning Commission shall also have the authority and responsibility to review the provisions of the City’s Comprehensive Plan from time to time and to make such recommendations to the City or County as it deems appropriate.
Rezoning and Special Use Process
- Contact Planning Staff to discuss the potential request.
- Schedule a pre-application meeting.
- Please submit a site plan and a full description of the request.
- File application with Planning Staff. The application can be emailed, or hand-delivered.
- Staff will review for completeness to include:
- Application is properly filled out, fees paid and signed,
- Site-plan and other requirements are included,
- Property taxes are current,
- If the application is complete, Staff will process the request.
- If any information is missing, or taxes are not current, the application will be rejected and not placed on the agenda for consideration.
- Staff will review the request, including sending out comments from various departments.
- Public Notification of Request:
- A sign or signs are placed on the subject property between 15-45 days,
- A notice in the Rome News-Tribune is placed between 15-45 days,
- Letters to adjacent property owners are sent at least five days before the Planning Commission hearing.
- A staff report is generated which recommends approval or denial of the request.
- Public Hearings:
- Planning Commission Hearing. Applicants and any opposition are given a total of ten minutes to present evidence in support or denial of the request. The Planning Commission issues a recommendation of approval, approval with conditions, or denial of the request.
- The Floyd County Commission or the Rome City Commission will hold a Public Hearing (depending upon which jurisdiction the property lies within). Applicants and any opposition are given a total of ten minutes to present evidence in support or denial of the request. The Planning Commission issues a recommendation of approval, approval with conditions, or denial of the request.
- If the request is approved, the project may proceed. If the request is denied, the same property cannot have another rezoning request for a period of six to twelve months. (Time may be shortened to six months if the request is granted by the Floyd County or Rome City Commission).